Having a hair relaxer treatment can be a great way to get rid of unwanted split ends and restore elasticity. It’s also a great way to treat damaged hair and promote healthy growth, which is why many people choose this option when it comes to their favorite salon. In addition, it doesn’t require any additional commitment on your part after the initial visit for you to reap the benefits of having great-looking hair. Stay glued to this article to learn all about hair relaxer treatment including the curly and Brazilian ones and how to do this hair treatment at home.
What Is a Hair Relaxer Treatment?
A hair relaxer treatment is a chemical that breaks the bonds of the hair curl pattern. It’s used to straighten curly hair and change its texture by creating permanent waves or curls in your hair. You can use relaxers on all types of hair, but it’s especially effective on African American women who want to wear their natural texture when they go out into society (i.e., not only at home). This type of relaxer is also called “perm.”
Hair relaxer treatment is quite similar to keratin hair treatment, but the process of using the relaxer is lengthy and requires a lot of care. You’ll need to make sure that your hair is healthy enough for it, or else you could end up damaging it in the long run. It’s also important to note that relaxers are not suitable for all hair types. If you have frizzy, curly, or coarse hair, then this is the best option for you. It will straighten your hair and make it more manageable.
Curly Hair Relaxer Treatment
Below is the guideline on how to apply hair relaxer treatment to curly hair.
- To apply the hair relaxer treatment, you must first wet your curly hair. This can be done with a water-based product or just by using a conditioner.
- Next, apply a generous amount of relaxer evenly across your head and leave it on for about 30 minutes before rinsing off in the shower.
- Once rinsed out, your curly hair will be much more defined than it was before this hair relaxer treatment!
The main difference between straightening perms and relaxing is that with straightening perms (which are also referred to as “permanent waves”), there isn’t any type of chemical process involved; instead, heat is applied directly onto the individual strands via blow dryers or flat irons until they’re smooth enough for styling purposes. This is why people who use these methods tend not only to have shorter lengths but also appear more uniform in length throughout their entire head than those who use relaxers do when they undergo this type of treatment.
Is a Relaxer Good for Your Hair?
Yes, it is. Relaxers straighten and smooth curly or wavy hair. It straightens and thickens fine, curly hair. Relaxers can be applied directly to the scalp or combined with other products to create waves. The relaxer contains sodium hydroxide (NaOH). Soap is made with lye or caustic soda. Sodium hydroxide breaks down fatty acids and proteins, leaving hair straight and smooth.
How Long Does a Hair Relaxer Last?
The length of time it takes for a relaxer to work depends on the type of relaxer you use, the brand, and your hair texture. Most people need 4-6 months of treatment to see results. If you want to keep your hair relaxed for longer than 6 months, then it will probably need touch-ups every few months to keep it looking healthy and shiny.
Hair Relaxer Treatment at Home
Hair relaxer treatment at home is a great option for those who want to straighten their hair but don’t have time or money to go to the salon. Relaxers are chemical treatments that change the structure of your hair, making it easier for you to achieve the style you want. You can also do this hair relaxer treatment at home by doing the following:
- You will need a relaxer treatment kit from your local beauty supply store and follow their instructions on how much product needs to be applied per application (they usually recommend applying this between 12-24 hours before going out).
- Once applied, leave it in overnight or until the next day when applying again!
- If you are applying the relaxer in the morning, make sure you apply a heat cap to your hair. This will protect your scalp from being burned while it is exposed to high temperatures. Relaxers can cause burns if not used properly or if they are not left on long enough.
- After washing your hair and applying a deep conditioning treatment, use a flat iron to straighten it. If you want more volume or curls in your hair, you can add some volume by curling sections of it with the iron. That’s all you need for a well-styled at-home hair relaxer treatment!
Is a Keratin Treatment Better Than a Relaxer?
If you want to try a keratin treatment, it’s important to know that there are some differences between the two. A relaxer is a chemical process that removes hair from your scalp and temporarily changes its texture. Keratin treatments are less invasive than relaxers, but they still involve chemicals being applied directly to your scalp or hair follicles.
Do Relaxers Stop Hair Growth?
Relaxers are used to straighten hair, and they don’t stop hair growth. For example, if you have relaxed hair and then decide to go natural or use relaxers on curly hair, your relaxed ends will still grow out naturally. Relaxed strands can be mixed with other treatments like flat irons or texturizers to add body and shine. Try this at home before spending money on salon services.
Brazilian Hair Relaxer Treatment
Brazilian hair relaxer treatment is a popular option for people who want to straighten their hair. It’s also called “Brazilian blowout” and can be done at home.
This method of straightening your hair doesn’t require heat, but it works by applying chemicals to the strands and then relaxing them. This process causes the cuticle layer of each strand to open up, which allows moisture to escape from within the porous structure of each strand, causing it to dry faster than normal when exposed directly under a blow dryer or with other types of heat styling tools like curling irons or flat irons.
The result is smoother-looking waves because there will be less frizziness in between each curl pattern—which makes you look like you have much more body than you do!
The process can take anywhere from one to three hours, depending on the length of your hair. Brazilian hair relaxer treatment is best done at home because it can be difficult to find a salon that offers this service. If you do go to a salon, make sure they’re licensed professionals and not just someone who just claims that they know how to straighten hair with relaxers.
How Much Does It Cost to Relax Your Hair?
The cost of a relaxer depends on the length of your hair. The longer the hair, the more expensive it will be to relax. A relaxer treatment for medium-length hair costs $50 to $100, while very long or thick hair can cost $200.
Can Relaxed Hair Go Back to Natural?
Relaxed hair treatment can add volume to your hair but can also cause damage. The chemicals used to relax your curls can make your hair more prone to breakage. If you have chemically treated or damaged curls (or want healthier ones). You can go back to nature without having any problems!
- The first thing you should do is condition your hair. The best option is a deep conditioner or an overnight treatment. But you can also use a regular conditioner for about ten minutes before rinsing it out. You may want to leave the conditioner on overnight if you have thick curls or very dry hair.
- Next, start detangling your hair with a wide-toothed comb or brush while it’s still damp. Use a rounded-tip comb to separate curls from root to tip.
Relaxing is a wonderful way to give your hair a boost of volume, but it’s not the only option. Keratin treatments and other treatments give the same results as relaxers with less hair damage. So, if you are worried about how much it will cost and how long it will take before you see results, consider booking an appointment with one of our stylists today!
Frequently Asked Questions About Hair Relaxer Treatment
Is hair relaxing permanent?
Since chemical processing is known to have long-term effects, you’re probably wondering if hair relaxers are permanent. The simple answer is no. According to the American Academy of Dermatology, curly hair relaxers should be repeated every two to three months to keep strands straight, and only for new growth.
Are hair relaxers good for your hair?
The chemical processes of relaxing hair can leave your hair very brittle with increased breakage as it loses its distinct elasticity.
- byrdie.com – The Best Hair Relaxers for Smooth, Straight Hair
- stylecraze.com – Keratin Treatment Vs. Relaxer: The Difference Explained
We Also Recommend
- What is Texturized Hair? How to Take Care of Texturized Hair
- Best Red Hair Dye, Guide and Application Tricks in 2022
- ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT KERATIN TREATMENT: Pros and Cons
- HOW SOON CAN YOU WASH HAIR AFTER KERATIN TREATMENT: Here’s All You Need to Know Benefits And Usage
- WHAT IS KERATIN TREATMENT? Best Keratin Treatment Near Me