We all know that kids are messy, and they will often get slime stuck in their hair. Fortunately, there are a few easy ways to get it out it without resorting to cutting out the hair with a pair of scissors.
Although some slimes are easier to remove than others. However, they can all get out with the right tool.
Let’s review the best and smart ways to clean hair off slime without causing any long term damage.
What is in Slime?
Slime is an unpleasantly thick and slippery liquid substance.
To understand what slime is made of makes the cleaning process easier. The majority of slime, including is made from glue, Borax, food coloring, and baking soda.
Borax and baking soda makes it difficult to use traditional cleaners to remove slime. The white glue makes it stick to everything, and the food coloring leaves behind the most colorful stains.
Also note that slime is not water-soluble due to the high oil content. This shows that you need more than just hot water and dish soap to clean it.
Best and Smart Ways to Get Slime out of Hair
You can basically get slime out of hair with the random items you have at home.
Essentially, we will discuss some of those smart ways to get slime out of hair with household items in this article.
1. How to Get Slime Out of Hair with Shampoo and Conditioner
The best way to remove slime from your hair is using conditioner and shampoo.
When removing slime from the hair, start with a simple shampoo and a conditioner. However, there’s a trick t this.
First start with a conditioner then wash with a shampoo. This is because, most conditioners contain oil, and this is exactly what you need to combat slime.
Follow these basic steps;
- Start by rinsing hair with warm/hot water
- Apply a generous amount of conditioner to slime-stuck hair strands.
- Massage the conditioner into the hair and use a fine-tooth comb to gently remove pieces of slime. As you remove the slime, wash the comb.
- Rinse the conditioner out of the hair.
- Apply the shampoo to your hair and create a lather by massaging the product into the scalp.
- Rinse the shampoo out and dry hair normally.
Read: What is Texturized Hair?
2. How to Get Slime Out of Hair with Mayonnaise
Do you remember we said that oil is great for combating slime? Here’s how it works:
- Add some spoonful’s of mayonnaise to the affected area.
- Gently massage the mayonnaise into the hair using your fingertips, going from root to shaft.
- Use a tooth comb to gently remove pieces of slime. Also, clean the comb as you go along.
- Once the bulk of the slime has been removed, use the conditioner-shampoo method above to remove any leftover.
However, if you do not have a mayonnaise in the fridge, use peanut butter as a substitute and follow the steps provided above. The oil in the peanut butter works in just the same way as mayonnaise and should help coax the slime out of the hair.
3. How to Get Slime Out of Hair with Oil
Oil is slime’s mortal enemy and it is a key to detangling.
For this method, you can use any cooking oil including olive, avocado, canola and vegetable.
- Gently massage some spoonful of oil into the strands of hair with slime.
- Once the slime starts to loosen, use a comb to remove it. Rinse the comb as you brush through the hair.
- Use the conditioner-shampoo method to remove any remaining slime, then clean hair as usual to get rid of the oily residue.
Read: How to Deal with Lice in Blonde Hair
4. How to Remove Big Globs of Slime
It is easier to remove smaller globs of slime than the big ones. Sometimes, they can be impossible to get out, but with a little work, it can be done.
Before you use any product to remove the slime, start by removing as much as possible with just your fingers.
After this, we will apply some vinegar.
Basically, you’ll need these items;
- A pair of Goggles
- 2/3 cup white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup warm water
Wear a pair of google and stand inside the shower to prevent the vinegar from entering the eyes. Make sure the goggle strap is not placed over the affected area.
Mix water and vinegar in a bowl. Pour some of the diluted vinegar on the hair and massage with your fingertips to work the vinegar into the slime. Continue applying a small amount of diluted vinegar to the hair until gone.
To remove the residue left behind by the slime, take a warm shower, and apply a small amount of conditioner to the hair. Rinse out the conditioner and then shampoo hair as usual.
This process of applying conditioner and a shampoo is necessary because vinegar can dry the hair, the shampoo and conditioner adds and retains hair moisture.
5. How to Remove Food Coloring Stains from Hair
Earlier we mentioned that slime has some food coloring in it. Besides, who wants to play with a white slime with no coloring? Certainly not me!
When slime gets in the hair, so does the food coloring. In darker hair, the food coloring isn’t that big of a problem, but in lighter hair, the food coloring is one of the worst slime stains to remove.
There are quite a number of ways to remove slime food coloring from hair.
Firstly, to remove colored slime stains from light colored hair is with a color stripping shampoo. Secondly, you can also use rubbing alcohol and a paper towel. Soak the paper towel in rubbing alcohol and wipe the hair from top to bottom to avoid tangling.
Read: How to treat Fried Hair
Can I use Coke or vinegar to remove slime from hair?
While both vinegar and Coca-Cola have the potential to remove slime, they are not safe options. Both vinegar and coke have the tendency to dry the hair.
Oil is a safer bet.
However, apple cider vinegar should be the last resort if no other options are available. Oil is still a better option to coke and vinegar because it helps to slide the product through the hair.”
How do I prevent slime from getting stuck in my hair?
If you must make use of smile, try the non-sticky slime. They can still create a fluffy slime without the mess a sticky slime creates. And yes, you don’t have to worry about them getting stuck in the hair.
Read: Does Hair Dye kill Hair Lice?
This article contains tips and smart ways to remove slime from hair. If you found any of our tips on how to get slime out of hair helpful, please leave us a comment below and share this with family and friends.